My horrendous experience wearing the cow suit

I have worked at Chickfila for about 2 years now. Don’t get me wrong I love my job. The people are awesome and the standards for excellence are amazing. Honestly, I would not have wanted to work anywhere different for the last two years. HOWEVER, I did have a horrible experience that is why I am writing this blog today. It was July of 2013 and I had recently started my first job at Chickfila. This is when I got a letter in my box at work about a pool party. Well, I was very upset because I was scheduled a shift for the exact hours of that pool party. What a coincidence right? Not so much. A girl at work had asked me a week prior if I could cover her from 7:30 – close since I was only scheduled 5:30 – 7:30. My mom didn’t want me working anymore hours, so I told her I couldn’t. A couple of days later, a manager came up to me and asked me if I could cover her, and thinking that maybe it was more urgent than she led on, I sais yes. What I didn’t know is that it would be a horrible mistake. I showed up to work on that day in my full work uniform (black pants, maroon polo, and those fashion forward black no slip grip shoes). I wondered why one of the team leaders gave me a weird look when I walked in and asked me why I was wearing my uniform. I was confused. I mean I was supposed to just work from 5:30 to close right? WRONG! He proceeded to inform me that I was going to be the cow at a local pool that was having a party. Shocked, I started panicking. It was 100 degrees outside and I had no other clothes. Luckily, we were able to stop by my house to pick up different clothes on the way. So, we get to the pool and put the suits on and let me tell you it was HOT! You don’t know hot until you put on a giant cow suit in 100 degree weather. So we got on with the event. Every 15 minutes someone would come get me and the other girl who was another cow, to get out of the suit and get some water. Eventually the event was over and it was time to leave. But wait! I still had to go back to work for another 3 hours! I had sweated off all my makeup and looked absolutely horrible. I never wanted to cry so much until one Tuesday night a few weeks later. A week before this night I received a slip in my box that said I was going to be the cow this Tuesday night. Yes. Finally a warning so that I could be prepared. Tuesday nights are family nights at my Chickfila, which means a lot of kids. I was ready to go. I had been practicing some awesome dance moves to pull out to impress all the small children running around. What’s better than a dancing cow right? I was supposed to work 5:30 to 7:30 this night. I got in the suit and was ready to go. At one point in this shift I was walking around the dining room and couldn’t see any kids. I glanced over to the playroom to see a whole group of them. My friend, who had cow experience, warned me about the play area and told me not to go in there. However, all the parents were getting annoyed with me going around and giving them high fives so I needed to do it. I opened the door. All of the sudden I hear, from the upper tubes of the play area, kids screaming “COW!!!!!!!!!!”. UH oh. They start jumping down and sliding down the slide. Before I can escape, they start to wrap my tail around my legs so I can’t walk, and they start punching me. I tried to turn around and put my hands on the outside of the door to try to pull myself out. Finally, some little boys mother screams to let the cow go. God bless that mother. I start getting really thirsty and notice that it is getting really dark outside. I realize that I am about to pass out. Oh crap, kids would go berserk if the cow passed out. I quickly put my face up as close to the breathing part of the head as I can and bend over on a chair to catch my breath and wait until the room stops spinning. I go up to the counter and whisper to see if I can have some water. I guess the girl didn’t hear me because she was laughing and saying that she couldn’t tell who was in the suit. A while later I couldn’t wait any more so I see a manger wiping down a table. I walk up to him and ask if I can have some water. He asks me, “have you been in there for more than 15 minutes?”. I reply, “I have no idea how long I have been in here.” I go to the back and take off the suit. I glance at the clock and it is 8 o clock! I had been in that suit for 2 and a half hours!!! You see, the only other time I had been the cow, people had come to give me my break. That is what I thought would happen here. The worst part of this story is that people told me, “We were looking for you and couldn’t find you!” EXCUSE ME PEOPLE I WAS WEARING A GIANT COW SUI! HOW CAN YOU NOT FIND  ME?!?!?!?! So needless to say, every other cow shift I made sure to drink a lot of water :). Hope you enjoyed!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s